Thursday, March 5, 2009

In Memory of Rozanne Lovell

We usually try to keep our posts here upbeat, because we want Bigwag and everything associated with it to be fun and happy. But today I find myself with unfortunate task of saying good-bye to a beloved member of the pet community and one of our customers.

Bear with me if this doesn't stay coherent, I'm a little emotional right now.

When we first opened Bigwag, Cary and I realized that there would be a day when we had to face the reality of one of our customers losing a dog. We knew it wouldn't be easy, but we accepted it. But for some reason, I never, until last night considered the prospect of actually losing a customer.

We always say that our customers are like family and today the pain of that statement is hitting me. I found out last night that Rozanne Lovell passed away last Thursday, February 26th.

Admittedly, I didn't know Rozanne (Rosie to her friends) as well as many in the pet community. But what I do know is that she touched me personally. She was one of our very first customers. She and other staunch members of the pet community are the only reason we even had sales at our grand opening (we somehow thought we would open the doors and people would flood in, rookie mistake, but that's another story for another time) Rozanne continued to come back each following Saturday with Chulo (one of her boxers, whom I adore) while Chulo was in therapy dog classes.

After Chulo's classes ended we didn't see Rozanne as often, but she still stopped by from time to time, most recently for pictures with Santa Paws, with all three of her dogs, Chulo, Kewpi and Marjorie. Rozanne admitted she never would have chosen the name Marjorie, but insisted that it be pronounce MAH-jorie, because it fit the dog's personality.

Rozanne was full of life, wit and personality. She once told me that when someone asked her why they should get a boxer, she told them, "You shouldn't unless you want a toddler sharing your house for the next 6-8 years." To this day I couldn't find a better way to explain the temperament of a boxer. She was an advocate for dogs, announcing that there were dog being sold in the parking lot next door when she showed up for Santa Paws pictures and making me call the police about it before we could do anything else. She was active in the Helping Paws Program and the AKC. I know that people in those organizations will miss her terribly, as will I. It seems unfair to have Rosie taken from us, not because she doesn't deserve the peace that I'm sure she's found, but because Northwest Arkansas will be a duller place without her.

If you're interested in honoring this wonderful woman, memorials can be made to Helping Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment