Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sabrina's Story

Good afternoon everyone!

I've heard it said many times that we can learn a lot from our dogs.  In fact, there are countless forwarded e-mails floating around out there with that very subject.  But I find that we can also learn a lot from pet owners.  It's something I am reminded of constantly as I work at Bigwag.  That pet people are amazing, big-hearted people who show us what's really possible from our fellow human beings.  It's so easy to get discouraged and write off the human race because collectively we do some really, truly, stupid, horrid things to each other.  But the truth is that for every one stupid, horrible action there are a hundred good, kind-hearted actions.  And so, I want to share with you something that happened here yesterday, because it's one of those things that reminds you of what is important in life.

Sabrina's Story
When I came into work yesterday, Terresa was working on an order of pupcakes.  She had finished two bright green pupcakes.  One read, "Celebrate" and the other read "S" with a pawprint.  I thought they were unusual, until I read the rest of the order in the book and Terresa told me the entire story.  You see, the other four brightly colored pupcakes read, "Sabrina", "Celebrate", "Sabrina" with a heart and "We love you."

It turns out that a woman named Missy had called and ordered the pupcakes for her friend who dearly loves her dogs and had just found out that her dog Sabrina had been diagnosed with cancer and been given 2 weeks to live.  Now, at this point, I would think that the grief would be unbearable.  But instead, these amazing women decided that they were going to make the next two weeks the best weeks of Sabrina's life.  So, they are celebrating her life with brightly colored pupcakes and trips to the park and I imagine pretty much anything and everything Sabrina could possibly desire.

When you think about it, we should all live our lives that way.  Live each day to the fullest, celebrating the life we have left.  I hope Sabrina and Sabrina's family become an inspiration to the rest of us.  Tell someone you love them today, do something that you've been wanting to do but keep putting off, really, truly, live your life.  It's too precious to let just pass you by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment