Saturday, July 5, 2008

Why Apple is Cool!

Whats this got to do with pets? Stay with me here while I get there, even if it is a bit round about.

I have owned a Mac - it was a SE, the kind with the BW monitor built in, back in 91 (it wasn't new then either). I don't know if I would own another mac, but it always worked when I needed it. I will give it that.

I own an MP3 player. It's not an ipod, but it was cheap. Would I take one if someone handed it to me - sure. I might eventually buy one, but I'm not rushing out and get one.

Same with the iphone. It looks snazzy, the touch screen is really nice, but I don't own one. Maybe later.

OK, so we've identified me as not being an apple customer, but still, I have a great respect for Apple. Why is that? Well, for one, their commercials introduce me to music that I may never have discovered on my own. She is one of my favorite artists now. I will thank them for that.

But seriously, even though I am not an apple customer, I appreciate them for what they stand for. They stand for quality. They are ahead of the curve, they are breaking new ground. How many new phones are coming out with touch screens because they had the vision? They are making the industry better, brighter, and at least pushing cool music out there.

I wish the pet consumer products had their own apple. Even with all that has happened, with the pet food recalls, lead paint, salmonella chews, brands like Purina are still pushing products like Beneful, which, as far as I can tell, could be the second worst dog food on the market - right next to Ole you-know-who. Who is poised to take on this role? What is the magic that will make people wait in line for a week to get the latest iphone, but not care what they feed their four legged family members?

We need a "Pepsi Challenge" for pet foods - because I guarantee if you set a bowl of Beneful next to a bowl of Taste of the Wild, they wouldn't even touch the Beneful. I have personally done this with my own dogs. I had never seen dogs spit out food before, until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment