Thursday, September 25, 2008

Guest Blogger : Toni Carter - Motormouth dog defender

Toni is a volunteer with the Humane Society for Animals in Rogers and the Murphy Memorial Dog Park in Rogers, among many other important causes. I had asked Toni to guest blog on the Candlelight Vigil that was held in August. A little late, which is all my fault, as I do not check the email address that she sent it to me very often - or in this case, for over a month.

My reasoning for this is to try and incorporate as many folks in the real-world pet community that I can into our little community blog here to help foster communication, to help "break-in" some people who are afraid of blogs into blogging, since I believe blogging is a wonderful medium to share thoughts, ideas, news stories, articles, funny pictures, - in short, our pet community in general, here locally and nationwide.

Toni is our second guest blogger this year, and hopefully not the last. If you have ever met Toni in person, her writing style will make complete sense! Perhaps this gives some insight into her tireless efforts to help homeless animals.

Ok I am (gulp) ready!!!
Hi everyone, Cary asked me to write a few lines for his blog. I think Cary and Erin and the Tobys are the best. They have kept me hopeful and like Martin Luther King says"My eye is on the prize".
The prize in the 2008 world of Toni Carter, Motormouth dog defender, is a moratorium on breeding by all dogs and cats..just for a few days let no more be born!!!
Thursday of last week was a rough day...I did day care at
the kennel where I work then I went to Petco to clean cat cages. For some reason ( the crappy and ever existent heat) I was overwhelmed by the work at hand that folks do everyday ,then when I got home I fell apart laughing and then crying over a PETA ad that a friend sent.
PETA is very serious and very well funded. I don't know any actual members but I do think I would like to. They
have their finger on my pulse because I have been thinking about how our culture dehumanizes all of us by promoting this idea that we should not be so serious
about animal rights. It dehumanizes people and gives the worst of human weaknesses to animals.
If you have not see the ad please go the PETA website and look up "My little girl is gonna get some."
Our trivialization of animal breeding is a huge reason why this spay and neuter philosophy needs work.
Remember feminism? Ever heard of civil rights? The man in England who was a member of the House of Commons and got slavery abolished in the British Empire? The Moratorium? Earth Day? The kids who tore the Berlin Wall down piece by piece? The lone dissident in Tianman Square who stood in front of a tank FEARLESSLY?
Please realize that I love to laugh..in fact it struck me as funny when I saw a Tshirt in Eureka that said
: Life is a Bitch and then she has PUPPIES"
I giggled and said AMEN. I was in a good mood that day.
It was a beautiful day and I was happy. I walked and looked at art and I was with my friends from Kansas.
What happened a week later to make me feel like I was that guy in the square? Kittens are so sweet and some of them have gotten homes. The faces of the adult cats haunt me. The little shepherd at the shelter cried for me to take her out last Monday.How can we change this pervasive sadness at the untimely deaths of animals?
I think that it had to do with attitudes on this day and the lack of rescuers ability to get together and vent. To cry and be supported and to stop being beaten down and cynical.We are all always running, rescuing , working, emailing,calling, thinking and hoping.
We have a chance on August 16th to begin a new cycle where each one of us is stronger and better for having worked with animals.
More on this later...I hope I have made people say " this is depressing" but that they will come back.
I am hopeful once again.
Be hope filled too!
The bible says" His Eye is on the sparrow" and Martin mentioned his eye was on the realization of his dream.
Thanks for reading
Toni Carter


No comments:

Post a Comment