Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Weight Loss Diary of A Dog (And Her Girl)

Hey Everyone!

I recently went to the doctor for my annual check-up and it turns out my numbers aren't all that great.  I need to lower my cholesterol, my triglycerides and my blood sugar.  It doesn't seem fair, since I've lost weight since last year when my numbers were fine, but I guess that's the toll a year takes.  At any rate, I was talking to my mom yesterday and she told me about Dr. Oz's 10 Years Younger in 60 Days  She told me that she and my dad had done the 3 day jump start and had already lost weight and loved the food.  Well, that definitely caught my attention, so she said that she'd send me the plan, but being my impatient self, I had to Google it.  And what I found was fairly impressive.  First of all, I can do anything for 8 weeks... (I say that, but I'm sure it will be harder than I expect or I'd already be skinny.)  Second, I really liked the "Daily To Do List" because they seemed like simple, achievable things.  And among that list is walk for 30 minutes every day. 

When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that Hannah could benefit from a daily 30 minute walk as much as I could.  Every time my dad visits, he comments, "Hannah you're a chunk!"  Which, I have to admit, irritates me, because I don't like being called fat and I don't like anyone calling my dog fat either.  But, the truth is, well, she could stand to lose 5-10 pounds.  And we're constantly preaching about the necessity of healthy foods, but that's only half the battle.  Hannah does eat healthy.  She eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (which is the salmon flavor) and she really doesn't get as many treats as you'd expect a dog in a dog bakery would eat.  She usually gets a couple a day and not the iced ones, unless it's a special occasion.  But the most exercise she usually gets is running to the door to go out and come back in.

So, today a Hannah and I are beginning a walking regimen.  We're going to walk 30 minutes every day and we're going to get healthy!  And we felt like the best way to actually stay accountable was to tell you that we're doing this and let you follow along with our progress.  Maybe next year we'll even participate in Bark for a Cure.

So this is us today after our first walk:

Hannah weighs 60lbs and her goal is to lose 5lbs by the end of May.
I weigh significantly more than Hannah and my goal is to lose 10lbs by the end of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment