Saturday, March 20, 2010

Do Magic Cookies Exist?

Do magic cookies really exist? Today I read that Three Dog Bakery is expanding their manufacturing plant in Kansas City, doubling their size. They got a bunch of TIP money and property tax abatement for 10 years to create 150 new jobs in the downtown Kansas City area.

I have never been shy in giving TDB credit for being the grandfathers of the dog bakery. Their book was very inspiring, but I have to wonder if the current manifestation of the creature they created is what they had envisioned. While I am sure as entrepreneurs this would be deemed a success, their whole inspiration was that store bought, mass produced dog treats would last in their underwear drawer for 10 years and be the exact same treat that it was when you bought it. I have to start to wonder how far from that path they have strayed. (yes, pun intended)

While I hope that they continue to use quality ingredients, large retailers qualify on price - it is the single biggest determinant in what they place on their shelves. When you start buying your ingredients by the shipping container from overseas because the price point is so much better, and then everything is mixed in giant vats and pressed out by huge machines, I think you lose something - that magic of touching the treats by hand, knowing that you are making something somebody else is going to enjoy. There is a transference of pride and ownership. Each treat has to meet standards knowing that it is going home with someone. I think that they still bake the fancy stuff like pupcakes and boxer brownies in their individual stores, however most of the every day treats they sell are all now baked in a "manufacturing plant" - not too unlike something like Milkbones are as I would guess.

Question - is this what happens to everyone when you get so big? Is this what happened to Starbucks? To McDonalds? Every single business starts out as a small business, and the ones that are successful grow and grow, and suddenly the magic is gone.

If we ever grow the business that big - I think I absolutely do not want to have a central baking and manufacturing facility - I don't want my treats ending up in someone's underwear drawer for 10 years, because I am pretty sure all of the magic has leaked out long before they get eaten. I want to make sure the magic stays in our cookies. You only get magic cookies when you go from hand cut dough, to oven, and straight to the display. If you have ever seen a dog eat a magic cookie from us and then give them a Milkbone, you understand.

1 comment:

  1. If you want a good read as a small businessperson, check out The McDonaldization of Society by George Ritzer. Talks about the whole Ray Croc story and how he changed the way business is done forever and how it's applied to everything from newspapers to neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete