Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Spot of Trouble?

Hey Everyone!

As you know, we carry Frontline Plus in store and we make every attempt to make it as affordable as possible.  (We also carry all natural alternatives, but that's another blog)  Well, recently, I've had a very difficult time getting Frontline in.  It's out of stock, back ordered from the manufacturer, you name it, I've heard it...  Now, I may be the only one experiencing these problems, because as a retail location rather than a veterinarian, I have to go through a distributor.   And I won't order from just any old distributor, because I have to trust them and have guarantees on their products.  I won't sell products that are imported from Australia or wherever else, because, well, if it isn't really Frontline, then it really doesn't matter how cheap it is.

But, I did happen across and interesting article in one of my industry magazines this month, and I'm wondering if there's a connection.  The article addresses the recent EPA report on spot on flea products.  It turns out that the EPA began a review of about 200 spot on products from 19 manufacturers in April 2009 and they released their findings in March of this year.

The reason?  Multitudes of consumer complaints about reactions and fatalities from spot on products.  (Read our experience with spot on reactions)

The results?  They concluded that it's consumer error and that labeling and dosage instructions need to be better.  They will be meeting with the manufacturers individually to discuss those changes.  They also found that inert ingredients will need to be disclosed more fully. Apparently, as it stands currently, the inert ingredients could actually be toxic in their own right, but because they aren't pesticides, they don't have to be enumerated on the label.

Now, I don't know if either of these issues has anything to do with me not being able to get Frontline in the store, but I do have to say that these findings border between ridiculous and frightening in my opinion.  I find it hard to believe that every instance of reaction or death was caused by misuse.  Is the EPA is really saying that every death or reaction was caused because consumers accidentally put dog products on their cats or overdosing their dogs?  That seems a little off when they can't even tell us exactly what the inert ingredients are.  Or that the inert ingredients are even the same from batch to batch.  Call me crazy, but I don't think potentially toxic ingredients should be allowed in a product, period.  Let alone under the label of inert ingredients.  It seems to me that the EPA is taking some much needed action, but it  it took far too many serious complaints to get such a minimal reaction.  And I'm not sure I believe that this action will really provide safer flea products in the end.  And shouldn't that be the ultimate goal?  Or is it really too much to ask for a safe, effective flea treatment?

No comments:

Post a Comment