Monday, April 27, 2009

Stop Breed Profiling

On Tuesday, May 12th, Nestle Purina Petcare is hosting Woofstock at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville. The event is a fund raiser for the Humane Society for Animals here in Rogers. Usually at this point, I would tell you about all the great contests and prizes they'll have and about how this will be a great fundraiser for the Humane Society. Unfortunately, I can't do that. Because, while I love the Humane Society and all the people who work there and all of the fabulous work that they do caring for animals, I can't support this event. I'll say that again. I CAN'T support this event.

Right now, you're probably thinking that I'm crazy or perhaps I'm just predjuiced against the large petcare companies. And both of those things may be true. But neither are my issue. My issue is this... When I went to the registration page, I found the following statement at the top of the form:
For the comfort of our other patrons we ask that you refrain from bringing the following breeds: Pit Bull, Doberman & Rottweiler.
Now, if they had simply said, please refrain from bringing aggressive dogs, or even if they had gone so far as to say, please refrain from bringing un-neutered/spayed animals, I would have been okay. But to specify breeds that you aren't allowed to bring aggravates me beyond words.

If Nestle Purina really has an "extreme passion for pets" as they claim on their website, then I ask them this: Do you have an extreme passion for all pets, or just for the cute, cuddly, lovable ones? Do you really want to help all the dogs at the Humane Society find good homes or just the ones that will never cause a problem?

Because I have news for the people at Nestle Purina. The Humane Society isn't full of cute, cuddly, little puppies who are already housebroken and fetch you slippers. It's full of older dogs whose owners gave them up because they peed on the floor one too many times or chewed up too many favorite shoes. It's full of Pit Bulls and Rottweilers that no one will adopt because they're "too scary". It's full of Dobermans that need understanding and training, not fear and breed profiling.

And I want to know, Nestle Purina, how exactly do you suggest I socialize my Pit Bull puppy if no one will let me bring him to events because it might cause other patrons discomfort? Do you suggest that I refrain from taking my Doberman to the dog park because her breed is too scary? Can you really penalize a dog that is kind and smart and good because other dogs like her have a bad reputation?

And why, Nestle Purina, is it fair to label dogs by their breed? If you held an event and said, for the comfort of all patrons, please do not bring your Arab friends, how would that go over? I don't think you'd be getting a whole lot of good publicity for you company that day. So, why is it okay to profile dogs but not people? Dogs are NOT their breeds, just like people are NOT their race. Dogs are individuals, they each have a personality and a disposition and they deserve to be seen as such. And if a particular breed has a bad reputation, it's most likely the fault of people. People like Micheal Vick, who distort and damage breeds of beautiful animals.

One more thing I want everyone to know. ANY dog can bite, so long as it has teeth in its head and a will to move. It's not safe to assume that just because a dog isn't of an "aggressive breed" that it's not dangerous and vice-versa. I know this first hand. Cary and I went for a walk last week and I got bit by a dog. I wasn't walking in its yard or antagonizing it in any way. I know to stay calm and not run, I know to say NO in a firm voice. But this dog ran out of its yard into the street and bit me three times. And you know what, Nestle Purina, it wasn't a Pit Bull, or a Doberman, or even a Rottweiler. It was a Beagle. A short, fat Beagle! But it bit me just the same.

So, don't make assumptions about breeds and what makes people comfortable or uncomfortable. Judge each dog on its own personality and its own merit. Because as soon as you start categorizing breeds you are opening the lid to the Pandora's box of breed specific legislation. And I don't want to wake up one morning and find that my beloved boxer is now on someones no-no list. Because my dogs are my children and my life. And that, Nestle Purina, is an "extreme passion" for petcare.

So, that's what I have to say and why I won't be attending Woofstock 2009. For those of you who would like to attend, we have posted the information on our Calendar of Events or you may go directly to their website, www.nwawoofstock.com. For those of you like me, who find it unconscionable to attend an event where breeds are profiled, I encourage you to send the $20 that you would have spent on the T-shirt and the $8 that you would have spent on the ticket directly to the Humane Society. That way you know that the Humane Society (including the Pit Bulls, Dobermans and Rottweilers) is getting 100% of your money.

The address for the Humane Society is:
Humane Society for Animals
P.O. Box 476
Rogers, AR 72756

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with you.
    Pit bulls- I met the sweetest, most lovable dog at a park last fall. He loved my puppy and my children and was so well behaved. He was a pit bull puppy.
    Rottweilers- A couple months ago, I saw a pair of boys around 8-10 years old out walking their dogs. The dogs were walking so well, not bothering other people or dogs, not pulling. One was a 100+ pound rottweiler. My little girl can't even walk our 25 pound cocker spaniel without getting dragged off her feet. That rottweiler amazed me.
    Doberman- The other day at the dog park, I saw a gorgeous, huge doberman. He was wonderfully behaved and friendly. My little cocker spaniel absolutely adored him, and she's usually intimidated by big dogs.

    Dogs are only as good as the training and love they receive. That goes for every breed. And, yes, any dog can bite, not just the big "scary" ones.

    Sara Allen
    Starbuck (cocker spaniel)
    Boomer (beagle puppy)

    ReplyDelete